lady of shanghai
Though I somehow neglected to mention that my own personal heroine, Marlene Dietrich, starred in Song of Songs, I'm fronting with it here. Dietrichs' "Shanghai Lily," a caucasian prostitute hopping from rich ex-pat lilypad to rich ex-pat lilypad in turn-of-the-century China, is a very different "Lily" than the virgin smashed between men in Song of Songs. While Songs described Lily as enduring a cruel process of disillusionment along with her sexual awareness, the film finally showed its heroine as a Sultan of Sultry, and Dietrich ends the film as a much more glamorous hottie than she began it. Sort of like how I feel about Frau Angelica , who's way better twenty years later. Basically, Dietrich's a much better woman here, and the final film's mantra is that which Olsen admirers have spouted for decades: Fuck the Virgins. I mean...Ignore Them. What I'm trying to say is, Fuck the high end prostitutes.
Lady has everything. Struggles with the dark side of communism, train voyages, opium dens, and men in safari hats. I want a hatbox. I want a soldier on my sleeve. I want i want i want. Every woman wants to be Marlene Dietrich. That dame's got class. Ingenues are overrated. Katie Holmes sucks.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home