eat drink man woman
Perhaps the quickest way to describe Eat Drink Man Woman is to point out that the sixth discussion thread on IMDB concerns the laserdisc version of the film. Yes, this came out in 1994. Yes, it was the type of film our parents thought was a charming comedy, yes it was the My Big Fat Greek Wedding of the ‘90s. Ugh.
Basically, I thought The Wedding Banquet was a really good movie. I thought, hey, Ang Lee, another movie about cooking and love or something, this could be good. It was, I mean, I laughed, etc. But I’m a pretentious fuckwad: why should others be happy when I celebrate my own self loathing? This move-eeeee is stereotypical drivel which is as heartwarming as it is predictable. I can’t even talk about this anymore, it’s upsetting me. All the daughters find happiness only when they find male companions, all the little kids are happy only when their grandparents prepare them box lunches, the father is only happy if his daughters are all safe. Basically, the only people who hate this movie are communists, and they probably totally love it! I bet the Nazis love this movie! Fine, that was a completely unfair comparison. I bet the Bushes love this. I bet George Bush’s knowledge of Chinese culture is principally founded on his 1994 viewing of a laserdisc of Eat Drink Man Woman.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home