Nathan Barley
This is the best TV series I've seen in a while, and I'm sure everyone already loves it, and I'm the last to find out, but REALLY. Let's get talking.
SUGARApe is Vice + Black Book with all that Camden town stencil art and giant ape tokyo influence fonts & the djs from 1980s manchester and there's like this amazing street coffee bus culture and I love the sister whose plot is moved in episode 2 because she owes 2,496 "quid" to the video store for a rental that's been out for 7 years. I bring this up because I'm confusing, because I need to prove my love through something more concrete, because just what it is that Nathan Barley does that's so good is it depicts through Media a culture whose disease is being Media Soaked. This is Gide's Immoralist for the 21st century, and the protagonist, Dan Ashcroft, reminds me of a D.L.B. or a Steve Q--someone who's seen it all and is just plain sick of it. In desiring to escape, the "cool factor" ascends and they just can't escape. Dress like a hobo? You're a trendsetter. Kill a man? That's "out there." Everyone on the program is pushing the margin so hard they're only becoming props for everyone else's ascension. And then just watching them all sputter and fail is like how Daria explained to Jane her amument at watching her parents fawn over Quinn, "It's like watching Nascar for the crashes." Eiga no kotoboa zakai dake. The language of cinema is universal. GENIUS award.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home